To roll your ability stats roll 4d6 and drop the lowest. Roll this 6 times. Repeat those steps to create a second line of 6 numbers. Choose which line you wish and use those numbers to place into your ability scores.
Races & Classes
All Races and Classes in printed WotC books are allowed. If the class or race is not in the PHB please provide access to the info to the DM.
The following may also be used in character creation / progression:
- Unearthed Arcana: Path of Ancestral Guardian (Barbarian)
- Unearthed Arcana: Path of the Storm Herald (Barbarian)
- Unearthed Arcana: College of Glamour (Bard)
- Unearthed Arcana: College of Whispers (Bard)
- Unearthed Arcana: Forge Domain (Cleric)
- Unearthed Arcana: Grave Domain (Cleric)
- Unearthed Arcana: Protection Domain (Cleric)
- Unearthed Arcana: Circle of Dreams (Druid)
- Unearthed Arcana: Circle of the Shepard (Druid)
- Unearthed Arcana: Circle of Twilight (Druid)
- Unearthed Arcana: Arcane Archer (Fighter)
- Unearthed Arcana: Knight (Fighter)
- Unearthed Arcana: Samurai (Fighter)
- Unearthed Arcana: Sharpshooter (Fighter)
- Unearthed Arcana: Way of Kensai (Monk)
- Unearthed Arcana: Way of Tranquility (Monk)
- Unearthed Arcana: Oath of Conquest (Paladin)
- Unearthed Arcana: Horizon Walker (Ranger)
- Unearthed Arcana: Primeval Guardian (Ranger)
- Unearthed Arcana: Scout (Rogue)
- Unearthed Arcana: Favored Soul (Sorcerer)
- Unearthed Arcana: Phoenix Sorcery (Sorcerer)
- Unearthed Arcana: Sea Sorcery (Sorcerer)
- Unearthed Arcana: Stone Sorcery (Sorcerer)
- Unearthed Arcana: The Raven Queen (Warlock) (Includes all Eldritch Invocations)
- Unearthed Arcana: Lore Mastery (Wizard)
- Unearthed Arcana: War Magic (Wizard)
- Homebrew: Alchemist - See DM for details
- Unearthed Arcana: Mystic
You start out with the equipment that is given per class and background. You may also roll on the trinket table and take one trinket if you wish.
In addition to standard equipment, for each level above the first that the character starts out with, you gain an additional 200 gp. (e.g. Starting as a level 4 character will get you an additional 600 gp)
Additional Background Info
Choosing additional background information for your character can help define your place in the world. Doing this is optional, but highly encouraged. Below you will find information about the world of Veldora to guide you in creating a background. This background can range from just listing hometown and family situation, to a in depth summary of your life up to this point. The amount of detail you go into is up to you.
Based on the amount of detail your character background is, you may receive benefits / gifts from the DM. This is completely up to the discretion of the DM. This background must be completed before your character is introduced to the campaign to receive any benefits / gifts.
Additional Rules / Errata
- Drinking a potion is a bonus action (instead of an action). Using a potion, elixer, oil, etc. on an object/creature other than yourself is a full action.
- Aim: As a full action you may take aim. If your next action is a ranged attack, that attack has advantage.
- Called Shot: As a full action you may make one single attack at a targeted location. If you hit additional effects will be applied. If the hit is a critical the effects in the critical column also apply. These effects do not stack.
Location Normal Critical Head Target is stunned for 1 turn Triple the critical dice instead of double Arm Target suffers -2 to Hit on the next attack Target is also disarmed. If the weapons are natural the creature may not attack its next turn Leg Target suffers -5 feet to movement for 2 turns Target is immobilized for 1 turn. Torso Target is knocked back 5 feet Target is knocked prone.
- Defend: As a full action you take a defensive posture. If an ally within 5 feet is the target of an attack, you may use your reaction to step in front of them. The attack is then resolved against you instead of the original target.
- Optional Rule: Wild Shape Forms from Unearthed Arcana is being used.
- Revised Ranger from Unearthed Arcana is being used.
When you get a critical hit on a normal action you may choose one of two options. Option 1: You get twice the amount of dice you normally roll for damage. Option 2: The DM will come up with something momentous based on the current situation. Generally this will be based on the character who performed the critical, the action that was a critical, and the current overall situation of the battle.
In Veldora death can be very traumatic to the body and soul. When a revival spell is cast on a dead character the success is not automatic. Instead when the revival spell is cast the caster must make a DC check vs the dead's Death DC. The caster rolls a d20 and adds their casting bonus to the roll. If the total is equal to or greater than the Death DC the revival is successful. If the total is less than the Death DC that revival spell cannot be used on them again for this death and the character remains dead. Other revival spells can be attempted, but a specific spell can only be used once per death.
All characters start out with a Death DC of 10. After every successful revival the body and soul gets strained a bit more and the Death DC permanently increases by 1.
NOTE: The wish spell is not a revival spell and thus does not follow these rules. However, keep in mind the wish spell also has its own side effects.
Learning Languages and Skills
Languages – Occasionally you may want to attempt to learn a new language. To do so you will need a source of the language. This source is typically a person who can speak the language or a book with translations. To attempt to learn a language you must make a series of checks over time to see if you pick up the language. For every 4 hours spent studying the language you may roll a d20 and adding your Intelligence modifier. If your total is equal to or higher than the DC you get a success in learning the language. If you roll a natural 20 you will receive two successes and if you roll a natural 1 you will have one of your previous success removed. All language require 26 successes to learn. After you reach 26 you no longer have to test and you are considered to be fluent enough to communicate in that language.
|Source is a person||-1|
|Source is a native speaking person||-2|
|Already Know the Written version of the Language (only applies to spoken tests)||-1|
|Consecutive Tests in one day (applies for every test after the first)||+1|
Skills - Everyone can attempt any skill, but only some are proficient. Proficiency comes from practice. To represent if you get 20 natural 20s while using a specific skill you are not proficient in you gain proficiency. Obviously the more you use the skill the greater chance of getting a natural 20. On the other hand if you roll a natural 1 this will remove one of those successes. Once you have gained proficiency in a skill you cannot loose that proficiency.